View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #525
gijoey959

Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

A few more questions

Since I've tracked down which pipe I'm going to start off with, and its a corn cob, anything I should know? There appear to be a ton of kinds of pipe tobacco, and from what I read, they can leave after tastes, is this a concern with a cob pipe? How often should I clean it, and how should it be cleaned?

I know it was recommended that I start with the drug store stuff, but I happen to be the kind of person who shoots straight for the good stuff just because I like to hit the ground running. Since I'm not new to smoking, just pipes, is it still a concern to start with something that generally has good reviews from more seasoned smokers? Or is it a don't waste good stuff when you don't know how to fill a pipe sort of thing? Reason being, there is a pipe store close that I normally buy cigars from and since I never looked at the pipes there, I didn't even remember they sold them there (its even called Pipe World ) I assume they have good tobacco, and might even have the cheap stuff, so I am going to be starting pipes before I leave more than likely (got someone to buy a few of the handout cigars I was going to take with me ) so I will probably buy the pipe, cleaners, and some tobacco (I already have a golf tee :P)

The short version:
What should I know about corn cob pipes?
What should I know about putting different types of tobacco in the same pipe?
Is it necessary to start with drug store tobacco? What if I buy more expensive stuff
Any last advice before I go buy a pipe, pipe cleaners, and tobacco? I.e. should I buy anything else?