View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Robusto "B" Reviews/Discussion

Cigar B #2 - After supper, Yuengling Lager as drink, 1 and 1/2 hours, listening to random iPod while reading a business model book for work. Punched cut.

Review Format
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...
Veiny. Large double cap. Dark brown. Sort of ugly, not as shapely as #1.

Score for aesthetics: 3.4

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?
Firm. Again smelled of raisins or dried fruit, unique. Feels dense and well-rolled.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.1

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?
Punched it and got the thickest plug I've ever seen. I'll bet the plug was 1/4" thick, layered like a pastry. It left a deep hole. Pre-light draw was very free and unobstructive and tasted grassy. Again the cap wetting left a bitter flavor on my tongue. Not a fan. This one smoked a lot cleaner with an even burn and absolutely no relights. I would often let it sit for 5 or more minutes between draws at times and it never thought about going out. The ash held tighter and actually didn't fall until over an inch. No flakiness.

Score for post-light construction: 3.6

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?
Again bitter tongue tobacco initially. First several draws were dry with a little pepper spice. Pepper died fast and went to grassy/tea/hay flavors. Kind of dry. However, this guy burned razor sharp. Started getting some tobacco flavors near the first end and the ash held a solid dark. Spotted gray ash. - 3.0

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3: Still kind of a monotonous smoke. More tobaccoy and not as dry as the first third. Lots of smoke and a nice ash. Flavors not really changing. First ash break at 1 and 1/4 inches. Nice center cone and great burn. The smoke gets creamier near the end - 3.1

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3: Like the first cigar, the last third was the best part of it. Never got hot or bitter. Still sort of one-dimensional with the tobaccoy flavors maybe picking up some wood. Still no relights and a great burn. Near the end the smoke got fuller and more creamier with a little leather tossed in. I like this part way better than the dry, grassy first two thirds. - 4.1

Score for flavor and strength: 3.4

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh? I'd say a medium smoke. Did get a little nicotine jolt out of the last third. I nubbed it as the last draws were the best. I worked this long to get there, might as well enjoy all I could. It doesn't have a long finish at all, which I like. It has a pleasant ending.

Score for aftertaste: 3.6

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent? Good aroma, but nothing standout-ish. Mild.

Score for aroma: 3.8

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score.
See summary

Overall score for the cigar. 21.9/30 (or 73/100 for those that like the base 10 scale)

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:
Not Recommended; Possibly Recommended; Recommended; Highly Recommended See summary