View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Robusto "B" Reviews/Discussion

On to baggie B - I've had two of three. I'm keeping the last until after the big reveal. Below is a goat's palate review of both "B" smokes.

Disclaimer from cigar "A" review - First off, I preface by saying I smoke CCs 90% of the time. Smokes lots of NCs for the past 6 or 7 years, but within the past year or more, CCs have the flavor profile I enjoy most, plus I am afforded more skinny to smaller RG smokes that fit my time allotments. A lot of NCs are heavier and spicier than I enjoy as relaxation smokes.

I'll post both reviews and will average my scores and give a final summary. Pictures include for each event.

Cigar B #1 - After supper, Yuengling Lager as drink, 1 and 1/2 hours, watching Classic Albums - Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon". Punched cut.

Review Format
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...
Minimal veins, medium brown, not pretty, but not ugly. Not oily-looking

Score for aesthetics: 3.8

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?
Opened the bag and took a whiff - instantly thought "raisins!". Even had my wife smell it and asked her what she smelled - raisins again. Softer roll than cigar A. Double capped. Nice feel to it. Seemed to be well-rolled.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.1

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?
Punched and had a great, unobstructed pre-light draw. Wetting the cap so I could punch, the taste was really bitter on my tongue. Didn't much care for it, but have experienced the same flavors in other sticks, just not often. Darker grayish ash. Smoked pretty cool, but I don't smoke that fast. The burn was...meh. One side needed a few touchup to keep it even.

Score for post-light construction: 3.4

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?
Tip was slightly bitter on my tongue initially. For the first 4-5 draws, a little pepper spice, then died away. Mainly dry flavor profile - hay/grassy. Gray ash. One-dimension for the first third. Got a little soft and went out about the one inch mark. Nothing to write home about so far - 3.0

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3: Flavor started turning a little woody to tobaccoy. It was burning uneven and needed a couple big touchups. Flavors got a little creamier, but still had a predominate grass/hay foundation. Never got hot, but did develop a flakey ash. Went out again after I ashed. Did have large volumes of smoke. Getting better - 3.2

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3: The best part of the smoke. Got creamier. The woody, tobaccoy flavor overtook the grass and hay. The burned evened out. Still a kind of a monotonous smoke. - 3.4

Score for flavor and strength: 3.2

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh? Medium body and medium palate flavor. The finish wasn't that long. Had a pleasant tobacco flavor after it was over. It was pleasant enough, I think more of a working cigar than a lounger.

Score for aftertaste: 3.3

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent? Had a good aroma, not unpleasant or undesirable. Just nothing to really toot your horn about. Middle of the road.

Score for aroma: 3.8

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score.
See summary

Overall score for the cigar. 21.6/30 (or 72/100 for those that like the base 10 scale)

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:
Not Recommended; Possibly Recommended; Recommended; Highly Recommended See summary

Last edited by jjirons69; 02-12-2013 at 06:59 PM.
jjirons69 is offline   Reply With Quote