View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Wanger

Default Re: How do You Create a Competitive Mindset for Your Child?

My suggestion is a combination of things that people ahve already said.

First off, talk to her, and see what's really bothering her. Is it really softball performance that's the issue, or is it something completely unrelated? An issue at school, perhaps? Open the lines of communication and see what the issue truly is.

Secondly, I'm old school, in the belief that letting a child quit something in the middle of it is not good for them. That old saying that when the going gets tough, the tough get going comes to my mind. I don't believe in quitting when things are hard. I've always been someone who believes in fighting through things. Pain of a grueling race, excruciating workouts to prepare for races, not quitting until the final horn goes off, even if you're down 30. Effort is more important than results, in my mind. If you don't have to work to do something well, then what will you do when the chips are stacked against you? It's a big life lesson, to me. "I quit" is simply not in my personal vocabulary, and I'm trying to instill that in my kids. If you don't challenge yourself and push through the tough times, the rewards you gain in life will never truly be as sweet as they could be. And remember that in quitting, you're not just letting yourself down, but you're letting down the teammates who are depending on you, as well.