Old 03-28-2022, 09:58 PM   #14
gravel
Still Washing My Back

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (3)
HdM
gravel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Job

I appreciate the hustle kids used to do to make a little cash. The classic is lawn mowing, but for me it was annually helping chop and stack wood.

My first “real” job was in the summer between 8th and 9th grade. I worked for a restaurant that was very busy on the weekends and parking was limited. My job was to tell people that they couldn’t park unless they were eating at the restaurant. I only needed to inform people, I didn’t need to take any action. I took it seriously. I was paid minimum wage (I think 3.15/he?) and got a free meal if I wanted it. Regulars paid tips.

In 9th grade I got a job as a prep cook/dishwasher. That restaurant closed down, but that wasn’t surprising. Who hires a 14 year old to be a prep cook? I later got a job working for a bakery washing their baking pans and I hated it. I had to hand wash pans that had been clearly neglected for years. That place also shut down after I quit.

As a 10th grader I found work in a new pizza place in town (Pizza Factory). I worked there until quitting my senior year after the ownership changed.

In college I worked a lot of jobs: landscaping, construction, roofing, night security, layout design, library, and a paid internship in a church. I also did a lot of volunteer work that paid in very valuable experience.

Right out of college I became a youth pastor. Aside from a 5 year stint selling and servicing surety bonds, I’ve been working in churches as either a youth pastor or an executive pastor.
gravel is offline   Reply With Quote