View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #560
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
AHA's National Homebrew Competition

If anyone is interested, now is the time to register for this year's contest. More information:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...on-information

The last time I entered was more than 5 years ago, so I decided to submit a few of my recent beers to get some professional feedback and to see how they hold up to others in their style:

Winston's Lot (Imperial IPA)
Trappist Hollow (Belgian Specialty/Trappist Christmas ale)
Essence (Cream Ale)

My son is also entering as primary brewer on CohiBrew (Imperial IPA,) I'll be secondary.

Since a number of folks around CA have sampled these, I'll be sure to post my performance once the scores come back. Unless they suck
Well, got my regional round scores back today. The Imperial IPAs both scored 36/50--which is great especially for my son's first beer--and the Cream Ale 31/50. Judges said that Winston's Lot could have done much better in a different category, but it had lost some of its hop aroma so it didn't fit the style. It got high scores in the "flavor" and "overall" components, though. I didn't have much hope for the Cream Ale, just wanted to see how it did.

The Belgian Specialty ale, however, took First Place in its category and advances to the Nationals final round in San Diego! Not sure how many beers it competed against, but there were over 750 total entries in my region. The judges comments were all very high and extremely positive, so I'm super excited about this. I've given away almost all of this beer since it was my Christmas gift to friends & co-workers, but I fortunately have just enough to enter into finals. It will definitely be an annual tradition around Castle Hollow Brewery

Thought I'd share the good news with my fellow HBOTLs!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote