View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #559
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Yeah... that great attenuation made a fairly hot beer. We'll see what time does on that.

I will take your advice on the Pils... for the second batch. I wanted to stray just a bit on the first batch since it will be for my BMC friend that helped me build the stand. I want him to see that beer can have flavor and be simple. I think I will go with the Perle, Saaz/Tettnang on both batches though. Nice idea... I'll keep my cascades for IPA and AIPAs. They really don't have a place here. And the corn... I am still 50/50 on that... what do you see as an advantage compared to rice? I do rice 'cause its easy, but I guess corn would be just as if not easier. Do you still cereal mash it?
To me Rice adds a bit of "insipid" to the flavor profile. I just didn't care for it personally. I used Flaked Maize (Corn) and there is no cereal mash needed. Just through it in with the rest of your malt in the mash! I find corn gives a nice delicate sweetness at about 18% of the grist. Rice is more neutral, but I'm usually not a "neutral" kind of guy
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote