View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
mariogolbee

Default Re: What kind of cutter/punch do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
I prefer a punch as well when the cigar is within the "right" ring guage zone for me, otherwise I'll cut it with a double-blade guillotine.

I prefer the punch cut because in my opinion it preserves the integrity of the structure of the cap and head of the cigar more than any other cut. The problems I've run into are that too small RG cigars are difficult to punch, too large RG cigars won't smoke as well (for me) when punched, and cigars with delicate, fragile or dry wrappers crack to hell and gone when my paws get a hold of them and try to punch. In all those cases I'll use the cutter instead.
Ditto on the punch. I received the one I currently use from Smokin Gator through the NST II. My first cutter was a cheap plastic Macanudo single blade which worked but sucked. My next was a double guillotine ss cutter from China via Ebay that cost like $3 but works great. I am currently using a fiberglass xicar cutter that I got free with a fiver from Monster. The xicar is great. Haven't tried a Palio but I think I'd like to get one in the future.

By the way, I've seen one person use there teeth with some success.