View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Johnny Walker Blue King Geo V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hemingway View Post
IMO the JW blue label is an amazing blended whiskey!!!

i was really into scotch at one time and have tried many different brands. most blended whiskeys i would mix with cola and drink like a cocktail. any single malts i would drink(sip) straight up, or with a touch of spring water. johnny blue is the only blended whiskey in my opinion worth sippin straight. it is incredibly smooth and blended perfectly, a great scotch!

now this JW blue king george V is probably some excellent scotch. it is VERY expensive, even for me. there is always a bottle of blue label and gold label at my house, the king george V will have to come around when i hit the big ball! lol

i would love to try some!
How are you my friend?

I am happy to hear your impressions of JW Blue. It is obviously a Palate thing, and I rate mine as only slightly above average. For me, and most people I know, JW Blue is extremely smooth. In fact, it's so smooth that any real flavor nuances are greatly diluted by it's smoothness. For me, and again, I'll say, most people I know, it is far too expensive for what it offers my Palate.

I say this, because my impression of the Louis XIII Remy Martin, is exactly the same. I believe it sells in the area of $1200 in a plain bottling and around $1600 in a crystal decanter. I was fortunate enough to have been invited to a very exclusive meeting, about 20 years ago, and was served two healthy sniffers of it, during the course of an evening. Louis XIII Remy Martin, is said to be a blend of over 1000 different cognacs, and as a result it it extremely complex. For me, it was not. I recall it as being very Flora on the nose and extremely smooth on the palate, with a one dimensional flavor profile, of cinnamon, and a very light spiciness. I've had cognacs in the $80 to $125 range that simply blow Louis XIII Remy Martin away!!! Of course, that only me!