View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default El Cobre by Oliva

Today I was raking the yard and finally got to spark up an El Cobre that Scott (sofaman) gifted me.
I don't write many reviews. I really only write them when a cigar is at one end of the spectrum or the other, mostly because I'm not much for heaping words on top of mediocrity.
I do like to hope that everyone gets to try something that's good, and that bad cigars should die a quick and painful death.

I'll start backwards by saying that gathering up some El Cobres has become an instant high priority.

I can only compare the El Cobre to one other cigar. The El Original.
These things will absolutely pollute you. I've been done smoking that cigar for seven or eight hours and the stink is just now starting to let up.
The El Original is one of my all-time favorites. I order them from the Keys at Island smoke shop. I've been out for some time now and haven't reordered because I'm so caught up in the slew of cigars that come in and out of here. The El Cobre is so very similar that I'm going to order a box of each so I can compare them side to side.

This thing really brought me back to "what I like".
I'm a hog. I like gross stuff. If something's bad for me, I always hope it could be worse. This El Cobre fits the bill. I think the best way to explain it is that "it's the cigar that everyone who doesn't smoke cigars thinks a cigar is like."
Ya know that face they make? This is what they're really thinking.

I went and looked up the cigar and saw nicknames about it. "The Lobotomizer" was one. "Bruce Lee" was another.
I didn't find it at all strong nicotine-wise. It's definately got enough flavor, fullness, and body to overwhelm a person who isn't a fan of that end of cigars. I could see it making a guy blow chunks. Not from the buzz, but because it totally pollutes your senses.

If the thought of the pinnacle of spice, chocolate, caramel, tire, cowsh!t and smoke is of any interest to you at all, you must try this stick.
If you get to the other end of it, Try an El Original.
If there's anything beyond these guys, I cannot wait to try it.

I give this stick a Tripple Eff 10, , and a Cigar Afficianado rating of 7 or 107.