crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation
Default Re: Backflush= piece of cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
A grouphead gasket that has begun to leak has already lost its elasticity; in other words, through continued heat and compression the thing has gone just about rock hard. To spare yourself the inevitable unpleasant gouging out of a failed, glued-in grouphead gasket, change them once a year while they are still pliable and still easy to remove.

O-rings, associated with steam wand seals, are best changed before they begin to leak, too. I say, be a big shot and spring for the $0.65 early. Change the o-ring when you replace the grouphead gasket.
As usual, I'm screwing up my terminology on the gaskets and other parts.

Regarding the grouphead gasket,

I noticed on machines like the Expobar, there is a ridge above the shower screen where you are supposed to kinda pry off the gasket in a matter similar to opening a paint can.

I'd have to look at the diagram to figure out the steam wand o-ring gasket but imagine it shouldn't be hard to get to.

My grouphead gasket seems pretty well seated in there and now I have something to obsess over for a few days until a new gasket arrives. I'd imagine an angled awl should do the trick in this case.

Great tips, but feels like hot citric backflush to my eyeballs.

Thanks Dan. anything I need to do inside my grinder tommorow????

Last edited by floydpink; 08-03-2009 at 08:41 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote