View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Legend's rating system

Fair question.

I can tell you from FIRST HAND experience, MINE, that it is not true. I'm in wine business and drink quite often with a good number of winemakers most people only read about, pretty much who's who of the wine world, many of the "high point" winemakers up and down the coast. Take it from me that as much as we all disagree with Spectator and CA scores, and I do so often in both cases, trust me on that, I have nothing but respect for the Shanken Empire when it comes to class of organization and how they run it (I wish I can say the same about other reviewers). You drop off (or ship) your wines to be reviewed and the next time you see your score is when it is printed or posted in their online review database, not a second before. No calls to solicit money, nothing. NADA.

Funny thing is that wine geeks also make "myth" claims and you can find plenty who will tell you out loud and as often as you are willing to listen that their palates are much better than those of the Spectator crew. I have tasted with plenty of wine geeks for a good number of years now in all sorts of environments (public tastings, barrel tastings, targeted consumer tastings, winemaker dinners, etc.) and I can assure you that with some rare exceptions "wine geeks" really need to have a reality check, most of them can't even point out simple and in your face faults in wine (brett, VA, TCA, low pH, reduction, RS, mercaptans, etc.), let alone figure out what's really in their glass. (I can also say that about many so called sommeliers, don't get me started on that).

Its much easier with cigars, of course, there is much less that can be at fault or ruin the experience, but in general if I disagree with a point score of a cigar in CA I chalk it up to a difference in cigar (different box/batch, storage conditions prior), tasting environment second and smoker's palate difference or rather preference, third. How many times have you had a great wine while on vacation, in a beautiful restaurant on a beach looking out at great sunset to then buy that same wine at home for dinner and all of a sudden say, "Oh, wait, this is a different wine than the one we had". Nope, same wine, different day and environment. Same with cigars, its the overall experience that either makes you fall in love with a cigar or not.

And palate preference is another significant factor as well. If you like big bodied cigars (I do), you will tend to score mild ones lower (I do). Like big, bold flavors? Score these high and score subtle cigars lower. Etc, etc, etc. No reason to claim any disagreement between your cigar experience and that of the CA as some "myth".

Like I said, its time to put this "myth" to bed and move on.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote