View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Indianapolis Restaurants?

Indianapolis has a few of the regular chains like Shula's, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, and Sullivan's to name a few. I try to avoid chains when I'm going somewhere for more of a unique experience. The place known for steaks in Indy is St. Elmo's downtown, although I have been less than impressed by the hype my last visit or two there. Is it a great place for steaks? You bet. Is it enough to justify the outstanding status they threceive? I'm not so sure. If you decide to go there, you must get the shrimp cocktail though and their wine list will be far the best in the city. It's the place a lot of celebrities will go when they're in town for the races or sports events for sure. http://www.stelmos.com/menu/

There is one chain that I haven't made it to just yet which is Fogo de Chao. Other top Indy considerations are Peterson's, Flemings, and The Capital Grille just to throw in some others worth consideration.

Another place I'd recommend is called Bynum's. It's a little more off the beaten path on the near south side and sure, it has a cheesy interior decor in need of some remodeling even 20 years ago (not to mention 3 big cows in the front of their building), but the steaks are excellent. Their beef is prime aged 21 days and runs around $30/per while St. Elmo's will run about $40-45 on average. http://www.bynumssteakhouse.com/Menu.html

Another staple of our state that you must try if you've never sampled one is the breaded pork tenderloin. It's something you'll only really find in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa and it's quite impossible to find anywhere else. No idea where you're staying, but the best I've had in Indy is from Bugsy's Sports Grill on the southeast side. Other top locations are Billy Oneal's (west side), Bourbon Street Distillery (downtown), Sahms (NE/Fishers), Plump's Last Shot(Broad Ripple), and JT's Grill(54th/Keystone).

One last suggestion for a must-have in the Indy area if you enjoy sushi. Sushi Club on the west side has an all you can eat, made to order menu that has awesome sushi. Request the weekend menu, no matter what time/day of the week and it's $21.99/person. It's an old Pizza Hut that looks less than impressive, but their food more than makes up for it. I like to keep from eating until 3-4pm and stuff myself with 5-6 rolls and go home in a sushi coma.

If you have any other Indy questions/suggestions, let me know.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote