View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Question about scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Hi Gabe
Islay scotches are not usually the best place to start to get into single malts. If you're used to blended whiskies, you'll be overwhelmed by a peaty Islay. Speysides and some Highlands are usually the most "accessible" scotches. Lowland scotches like an Auchentoshan also not a bad start.

I would suggest try a Glenfiddich, aberfeldy or Glenmornagie as gentler starting points. Glenmornagie in particular has lovely perfumes and a real floral, sometime sherried aroma. Put the tiniest drop of water in (dew on the rose), but no ice, or the volatile esters will die a miserable death in your glass.

To me the joy of scotches is their distinctive differences, and confess to being a "smoke head" - but some Islays are definitely an acquired taste, especially my beloved Laffie (Laphroiag) and the awesome Arbeg Corrywrecken!
I'm not into peaty scotches, either and my favorite is Oban, which I believe is a Speyside. It has a lovely note of the sea, which now that I think of it should pair nicely with a Sancho Panza NP.