Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #55
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I Will/Won't Drink Any Coffee, Anytime

My requirements are simple and practical, as to do otherwise causes the oils to oxidize and radically changes the flavor profile.

1. Must have been roasted in the last 1-7 days, and the end range of that is really pushing it. Past a week, throw it in the garbage please. I will be able to taste the fail and I won't want any. The scary thing is that it is rare for coffee to reach the endpoint of consumption in any of the big chains before this time, and it usually hangs around on the shelf for many months.

2. Must have been ground no more than 30 seconds before the hot water hits it. Pre-grinding is made of fail, and it tastes flat and sour. Don't do this or I'm not drinking it.

There are a few other tips like keeping the temperature of the water consistent, making sure the grind is clean, using 30 lbs of pressure on the tamp, cleaning the filters religiously, keeping the draw time between 18 and 25 seconds, etc. But if a place is gonna screw it up bad, it's usually with the lack of freshness in roast or grind.

And that's why I roast my own and rarely drink coffee away from home unless I see it being ground and brewed.
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote