View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: types of wood that can be used in a humidor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by althekillr View Post
thanks for the input shilala, i may have to go hardwood spanish cedar for walls and wondering if hardwood african mahogany is an option for shelving as they carry that at home depot as well.
The point I was trying to make with the home depot mahogany ply is that it's not mahogany at all. It's simply pine or birch plywood with a mahogany veneer over it. The veneer is very thin.
You can actually buy rolls of veneer to cover any type of core wood you're working with.

If you look at Bob's statements in the thread you reposted, he says, in so many words, much what I've always felt. Too much spanish cedar is too much spanish cedar. It's very easy to have too much, it seeps sap, makes a mess, sucks to work with, is not a structural (load bearing) material, and it's very easy to go overboard.
An oak or cherry walk-in with oak or cherry shelves would be divine.
The cabs contain plenty of cedar to impart the proper amount of cedar essense to cigars.
If a brother wants more spanish cedar smell in the humidor, one could easily rip lengths and affix them below shelves, or hide pieces out of eyesight.

Let me bring that idea into context for you...
If I have a 2" thick piece of Spanish Cedar 8" wide and 24" long sitting in a closed shed for a week, EVERYTHING in that 12'x20 shed will smell like spanish cedar for the rest of my life.
Take that same piece of cedar and move it to a 25'x25' shop 3 years later, one that has a garage door that is open most of the time, and EVERYTHING in that shop will overpoweringly reek of cedar in no time.

A person needs to be very, very careful with how much spanish cedar he uses in a project. If I wish for every single cigar I own to taste of nothing but cedar, it's very easy to do. To find a proper line, an amount that's pleasant to the nose and pleasant when smoking, that's where experience comes into play, and it goes a long, long way.

I don't like to work with veneers, I like to work with solid woods and hate mdf. It creates challenges. Whereas I used to make a lot of parts and pieces out of cedar, I've found it's best to line one area with a thick slab than to line all areas with a 1/64" veneer. The slab will never lose it's essense whereas veneer will over time.

Just be careful and err on the side of caution. You can always add cedar later, but if you build it into the structure, you can never get rid of it.
You could honestly build an entire humidor with NO spanish cedar, then add a baseboard molded of solid spanish cedar, and that would create enough cedar stink to last until the end of days.
Your cabs and dress boxes already have enough cedar to take care of the cigars.