Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Electrical and/or Smart Home Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Thanks for the info but I'm not sure I understand, Mark.

Are you suggesting replacing the switch I listed with a smart outlet? Or are you suggesting I rewire the fan so that instead of being hardwired it plugs into a smart outlet?
Here is what I am thinking.

The current switch that controls the fan has multiple "speeds" which likely is just voltage. If you can find a smart switch that is able to produce the same output voltages then you can replace the switch with a smart switch.

If you cannot replace the switch with a smart switch then you may be able to use a smart wall outlet. I'm guessing that your fan is wired direct to the switch and not plugged in to an outlet? If so, then maybe my idea won't work (always ask an electrician) but you might be able to rewire the connection to the fan so that it goes through a smart outlet. The smart outlet can be turned on/off ONLY. If the current switch is placed upstream of the smart outlet (that is, outlet between switch and fan) then you would still use the existing switch and just remotely turn the outlet on or off.

Is there someplace local to you where they have knowledgeable people to talk this through with? Home Depot or Lowes might be a place to start.

As was suggested, call the fan manufacturer for the simple reason that it is unlikely that you are the first person to want to do this.