View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #70
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Plume or Bloom vs. Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiver View Post
Well I must admit, this is the most interesting way I have ever entered a new forum. I appreciate everyone's input. I also understand this is a 'msg board' and being new here the immediate reaction is to cry "idiot, you've got mold". I would never enter a forum posting an extremely moldy cigar calling it plume. I do respect the accuracy of information within the board.

RevSmoke, I appreciate your words and I think your assessment seems the most accurate.

Couple of interesting points...
  • The humidor contains approx 20K cigars, and only a handful have this substance in/on the cello. No pattern of cigar location within the walk-in or cigar type. No outbreak of mold. Certain aged cigars all feel the same, dirty/dusty/sticky and very yellow cello.
  • All these cigars are vintage at 9+yrs
  • Nobody can answer why/how IF it was mold, how it can grow on both sides of the cello and not be on the cigar.
  • All cigars come out of the cello 100% perfect. Light plume dusting on each one.
  • The cigars are flawless and taste amazing. Everything you'd expect from a well kept and aged cigar.
Could this be part of your explanation? These older cigars are the ones exhibiting the "stuff" (whatever it might be), hence they have had opportunity to see the most change in the chemical make-up of whatever when through the humidifier in the humidor.

I am at a loss as to what it is if it isn't mold. Although, I will concede it might be something else. I am not sold that it is plume however as the pattern that it produced on the cellophane is too much like what would be exhibited as mold.

I have a number of cigars which have aged over 9 years. In fact, had a few which were aged 18 years this past November. The cello was no longer yellow, it was brown. The cigar were/are perfect. There is nothing else on the cello, and the cigars exhibit nothing on them as well. The light oily sheen that might have been exhibited by these when younger is also gone.

On another note, have you checked in as a newbie and introduced yourself? You should go do so.

Peace of the Lord be with you.