View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Scimmia

Default Re: Hey Beer Guys, Recommend Some Stouts to Me

Stouts run such a wide range. When you look at everything from Guinness Draught to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, the only thing they have in common is that they're darker in color. What stouts have you had that you liked?

For an Irish Dry, I'd try Black Sun from Three Floyds or a classic like Murphy's. For a sweet/milk stout, Left Hand does make a good one, or the ever popular Young's Double Chocolate Stout. For an Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith's is a must try, IMO. The Goose Island one is good, but a bit light for my tastes. For something a bit more hoppy, some of the American Stouts like Rogue's Shakespeare Stout or Lost Coast's 8 Ball are easy enough to find.

Then there's the Imperial Stouts. Being in MSP, I would think that Darkness from Surly would be one you'd have to try, if you can ind it. Old Rasputin is one of the definitions of the style, and widely available. Yeti from Great Divide is very good and can you can usually find it without too much problem. Founders also makes a great Imperial Stout that should be available soon.