Thread: Gurkha
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gurkha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
I've only had one Gurkha that I liked, the OR Black Dragons. Maybe it's just me, but I've always had construction issues with Gutkhas. Either they're plugged, have wonky burns or start to crack and unravel while smoking.
Back when I was buying sampler after sampler in order to try a wide variety of cigars I probably smoked about 10 Gurkhas. All but one had some kind of a burn issue. I enjoyed two of them, six I didn't care for at all, and two were downright nasty. But even the one's I enjoyed had burn issues that would keep me from buying more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
As for pricing, who knows? Why do they make the HMR with a price point that's far beyond what most smokers can afford?
They're not catering to most smokers, they're after those with more money than taste, those who want to smoke a $750 cigar so they can be seen smoking a $750 cigar, and/or those with money who figure "what the hell, I can afford it, I'll give it a try".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdeadmoney View Post
Any insight how the pricing works? A 5-pack of the Gurkha Titan XO costs $160 through CI. I just got the same 5-pack on CBid, which is owned by CI for $11 plus shipping.
The $160 price for the Titan XO is MSRP, NOT what CI sells it for which is $60 (link: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...edition-titan/) . You got it on CBid for $11 because at that moment no one was willing to pay more than that for it. When using CBid you have to keep in mind that for the comparison price they list MSRP, not what they actually sell it for. When bidding I keep two tabs open in my browser, one on CBid and one to check the actual sell price at CI and other sites. You'd be amazed at how many times people bid more than the "normal" price for a lot.