Thread: Taxes question
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taxes question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
As a pastor, I am self-employed and so I pay all my own taxes, nothing is withheld. I also pay both halves of Social Security. So, I know just how much my total tax bill costs. It is kind of ovewhelming to sit back and see what you pay.

Anyway, there have been a couple people lately (on this board, another, and in my live conversations) who have talked about the large income tax returns they will soon be receiving.

My question is, why?

Here's my thinking. I'd like to hear if I am wrong, of if I do understand things correctly. You see, I'd rather pay in on April 15, than receive a return of a $1,000 or more dollars. If I do it correctly, I am a couple hundred $$ one way or the others.

Anyway, my thinking is this. It is my money - whether I have it on payday or get it back later. If I get a rebate, it isn't really a rebate - it is simply returning to me what is already mine.

What is more, if I come up short and the IRS discovers that I missed a payment or some such, I am charged incredible interest on the money that I owe.

Yet, when the government uses my $$ all year, and at the end of the year gives me my money back, how come they don't pay me any interest?

If I want a rebat, wouldn't it be wiser to get the fewest deductions possible, then take a percentage of every paycheck and put it in some sort of intereste bearing account - then, when I'd normally get a tax return, I'll have even more money there, as the intereste will also be mine?

Am I screwed up, or does everybody like the feel of IRS using KY Jelly? Or is there something else I am missing?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I worked 16 years in this industry, and you'd be surprised Rev.

You are not screwed up.