View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #2059
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
What did you think of the book? It took me a while to read as well.
I can't really figure out why it took me about 2x as long to read, I liked it a lot. I think that maybe during the first half, I wasn't reading as much as I usually do each night. After I hit around 60% (Kindle version, I love seeing percentages and not page numbers!) it flew by.

There were 2 parts in the book where my heart rate was actually going nuts, like I was there, feeling the adrenaline.

So many authors use extreme details in their books, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but in this case I think it helped put you into the action instead of just bombarding you with useless minutiae like what kind of shoelaces people were wearing. The very detailed descriptions of weapons and clothing helped paint an amazing picture in my head of what was going on.

Stephen Lawhead does the same thing in "The Skin Map" and "The Bone House" but not nearly as effective as Bracken does.

I'm juggling a couple trilogies right now, after Mortal I think I'll get Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista and read it. I like allowing books time to sink in before I hop into the next one in a series.

Thanks for the heads up on this one Dan, I've already recommended it to another friend who's into the espionage genre.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote