View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lowes rant

So I ordered a special order door this past fall from Lowes. It was an inside door, and i planned on it taking a little over a month. When i got it, i was told that it would be in by a certain date. A couple days went by after that date and I called just to see what the status was, they told me that it wasn't supposed to be in until the two weeks later. Ok, not a huge deal. So that date came and went, I called on a Friday, was told it was in the warehouse. I said "great, I'll pick it up tomorrow" Was told that the warehouse was in CT (I'm on the NH/MA line) and the truck didn't go to the warehouse on weekends. So now I was a little upset. Asked to talk to a manager to see what I could do because I had someone coming that weekend to put it in. 4 days later the manager called and told me that the door was never in the warehouse, it was still at the manufacturer's!!! I asked why i was told that it was in the warehouse and he told me that he didn't know. I asked if there was a message to call me that weekend, there was not. Anyway, it was going to be another 3-4 weeks now and I did talk him into a discount for every week it was late.
It comes in, my father-in-law and I spent and entire day trying to get it in (we are both pretty handy around the house) and finally gave up. Got a friend who's a contractor to come over, he had the same problem. After much sratching of the head, we found out that the door, with glass window was warped and because of that couldn't close. By this time i had already chopped the bottom off because I was going to do that anyway because I don't have clearance in the ceiling so I couldn't return it.
Sent an e-mail to complain and let them know that I wasn't happy. Got a call and was told they are going to have a meeting with the store about the poor service and how to give me the best information next time and he was going to call the manufacturer.
So after 2+months of waiting, i have a warped door that I then had to sand the corners down so it would shut.

Now saying that, I also have bad things to say about HD as well!!!
So the moral of the story........ Shop at your local mom and pop lumbar/hardware store. They usually have everything that you need and the knowledge that you need about any project that you have as well.