View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Question Vintage Colibri lighter - weird butane refill port??

While cleaning out the last of my grandfather's things I happened across a a decent looking Colibri lighter. Normal sized, but VERY hefty. Apparently it is an electronic ignition soft flame. It appears to spark and work just fine mechanically, with just one hitch: I can't figure out how to load it with butane!!!!!

Lighter looks very very similar to this one, and is stamped "Colibri 2001 Japan" on the bottom.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...pocket-lighter

I don't have my camera handy to take a macro photo of the fuel port, but its design seems to be a a deep recessed circular port with a rubber grommet around the outside edge and a solid pin in the center that you push in. It looks like a successful fill nozzle would be big enough to completely fill the opening, making contact with the rubber grommet on the outside edges and sealing the chamber, plus some kind of a pin in the middle of the nozzle to push in the center pin and allow gas to flow around the edges of the center pin and in. There's a decent chance it could be designed to screw in as well.

Does that somewhat incoherent description make any sense to anyone? Sound like anything you played with as a little kid? how the hell do I fill it?????

Last edited by spectrrr; 05-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote