View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Espresso at Home

How much better are high-end espresso makers than budget/econo machines?

More than night and day.

For example, I recently jumped into the shark tank and acquired a DeLonghi EC155 -- a pump machine that can be had for well under $100. It has some really serious design flaws, but ignoring those it seems to make pretty good coffee. Pretty good, I say, because I was expecting better.

This is where things historically have gone off the track and peope begin sending me exploding cigars. So! This is just an opinion based on my experience, not a statement of fact: low end steam and pump machines are what they are. In general, if you have low expectations for espresso, they will be met. Otherwise they're good:

1. to help one decide if they want to make good espresso at home (which I already said was a bad idea - expensive ticket to play); or

2. as a teriffic looking paperweights. (Most of them end up in the garage.)

I had three cheapies and I really like great espresso. One of the three delivered great brew but I had to play it like a violin to get the right tune out of it more than 50% of the time. I'd call it a learning experience. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought one extreme grinder and a $10 mokapot instead of four espresso machines and two grinders

I'm still new at this so there's a lot of room for operator error, but I'm working on my technique...

Zakly. Start where you are. Making good espresso is, in part, learning how to eliminate operator error. Learn how to make the best with whatever you have. That might be great espresso half the time, or it might be not-so-great espresso 100% of the time. If it makes you crazy after a year or two, upgrade or slide happily into mokapot world.

Yet I wonder -- am I setting my sights too high? Is this the best I can expect from a budget machine?

Old saying - "When you think you might maybe have a problem then you already do."

And what is "fake" crema? (as critics of this machine have espressed.) What's fake and what's real and how do I tell the difference?

False crema is the floaty foamy brown emulsification you might get when producing coffee with methods under 9-bar of pressure.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 10-17-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote