Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cuban Food Recipe: Sandwich Cubano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Shoot. I KNEW I should've checked CA before pulling a recipe of the interwebz for the pork. This recipe sounds much better. I was walking through the supermarket today, and they had Virginia ham on sale, so i bought a pound. Then was in the meat section, and they had pork loin on sale for 1.88/lb. so i bought a half one for like 6 bucks. When i set it in the cart, i thought... "I bet i can turn this stuff into a cuban sandwich! So went and got 2 loaves of take and bake italian bread (closest thing i could find up here).

Have the pork loin marinating right now in a recipe i followed here:

http://m.justapinch.com/recipes/main...rna-asada.html

I really want to smoke/grill this thing instead of putting it in the oven... Like smoking for the first hour, then putting it into a foil pan in the grill or oven to finish it. Since it's a loin, i want to baste to make sure it stays moist. I reserved a cup of the marinade like the recipe said in my link. What worries me, is i had a ton of limes in the frig, so only used lime juice.

Hopefully i didnt fubar it.
So, it'll be a bit different. It's only food. Toss some roast beef or genoa salami in between the pork and ham for a different twist.

Smoke wood might overpower the sandwich. I cook my lechon asado on the smoker, but with no smoke wood, just briquettes, and at about 320-350F. I still get a pit roasted flavor that you can't get in an oven but the (smoked) pork doesn't overpower the rest of the ingredients. Cooking at 320-350F makes the shoulder firmer so you can slice it.

FWIW, the OP recipe came from "Three Guys From Miami" at www.icuban.com. Carlos (blueface) pointed me at that site a few years ago, and their recipes are awesome.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote