Thread: nice rums?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #30
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nice rums?

I've got a bottle of the Santa Teresa, either got it here in MD or Florida, can't remember.

Nobody mentioned Pampero yet? That's another nice Venezuelan rum, should be pretty readily available too. I think it's similar to Zacapa, but not quite as sweet. I like it better.

Ron del Barrilito 3 Star is one of my all-time favorite rums. I like the dry, lighter style of Puerto Rican rums, this is the best I've had so far.

Rhum Agricole - Neisson, St James, La Favorite, Rhum Clement... all are great, and very different from every other rum you'll ever try. You owe it to yourself to pick one up if you come across it.

El Dorado 15 yr - Great cigar rum, smokey, heavy, full-bodied, stands up well to a heavy smoke.

Gosling's Black Seal - Cheap, available everywhere, delicious. Don't ever buy Meyer's Dark when Gosling's is sitting nearby.

Angostura 1919 & 1824 - I'm really liking these both a lot lately. The 1824 is a little more complex, the 1919 screams 'vanilla', but both are the drier style that I tend to prefer.

Pyrat XO - Not bad, but I have a hard time getting paste the citrusy/orange flavor. Almost seems too 'orangey' to be real. Great on ice though.

10 Cane - Only buy it on sale, but it makes a helluva mojito.

Of the sweet rums, I think I like Diplomatico a touch more than Zacapa, though they're awful close. Can't ever find Zaya (any Zaya), or Centenario in MD.

I'd love to get my hands on some HC, that's one that ain't exactly common around here. Maybe next trip overseas.

Now that there's a rum thread, someone needs to invite Che over here
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote