View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying my first car, help needed

Bob is right on. Leases suck.

I have a very pragmatic approach to buying cars. Always have.
I need to love it. Am I willing to drive this car until the wheels fall off or until it makes financial sense to replace it?
If I fall out of love with a car, odds are it's gonna cost me to get rid of it. I've only ever gotten beaten up on an upside-down deal once, and that was when I was a kid and I bought a new Camaro. I loved it, but it wasn't practical for 1,000 reasons.

I used to always buy trucks. I came to hate trucks because I drove one every day for so many years. One day I decided I wouldn't buy another one. I went and bought a trailer for those times when I need a truck.
Problem solved.
It also solved needing a car with a 3rd row, I could now drive an SUV or whatever.

I drove my 04 Envoy until I gave it to my daughter, and it still runs perfectly because I took care of her. My wife made me buy a new car. I got a '10 Traverse. It's still like brand new because I keep her that way.

I do it that way because an old boy once told me "Your car will treat you like you treat it."
I'm happy I was there that day to hear that. It was as good a life lesson as any, I suppose.

I don't know what you can take away from that jumble, but it's all time-tested.