Thread: Coolidors
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #26
forms

Default Re: Coolidors

(Sorry about the above, hit enter accidently before I was done...)

Hi all,

I recently set-up a coolidor, and I was hoping for some advice...

In my haste to get the thing set-up, I didn't clean the inside of the wine fridge at all. Having done some reading since, I learned that the new plastic smell that coolers and fridges generally have can be pretty bad for your cigars (in terms of them soaking up the odour).
I opened the coolidor to find that it did have a slight plastically smell. I removed all cigars (which were all in their original boxes), and wiped down the inside of the fridge with a cloth and a little distilled water - the smell still remains, though only very slightly. My cigars are now back in the coolidor.

I'm worrying about whether I should again, get the cigars out, but this time clean it down with water and a little washing up liquid. I've read that if I do this, I'll have to then re-wash it with just water to ensure that the smell from the detergent doesn't get into the cigars, and then leave the coolidor off and open for a few hours while it dries fully. Firstly, if I have to use distilled water for all of this, I'm confident that there won't be much left in the bottle , and it was quite hard to come by. I'm also anxious that my heartfelt beads may be affected. If I leave them out in my house, will they absorb impurities from the air? If so, can this be avoided by putting them in a zip-lock bag?

The cigars have only been in the coolidor for about 3 days, I smelled a few of them, and couldn't pick up a scent of the plastic on them, which I'm taking as a good sign - I'm yet to smoke any though...

Sorry if there is already a post on this topic, I have searched, but to no avail.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Thanks.