Thread: Espresso
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Re: Espresso

Quote:
Originally Posted by the MacDonald View Post
I am on a somewhat fixed budget and really don't want to buy a grinder for $100+, any advice?
A grinder makes a huge difference to the whole coffee experience. It also gives you are opportunity to make pour over coffee (chemex style - but you really only need filter paper and a beaker) or espresso. Ie - you can vary the grind depending on your mood.

I also vary the beans from time to time - the oily dark roasts clog the grinder if you don't throw in the occasional batch of less oily beans.

Coffee deteriorates really quickly once ground. I buy my beans in small quantity and fresh roasted. Grind as you needs and the coffee is WAY better.

I would save up for a decent grinder. Buying a cheapie would defeat the purpose.

If this really isn't an option, your local roaster should be willing to grind and sell a pound at a time. Specialty coffee shops are generally cheaper than those bandits at "Fivebucks".

Regards
Neil
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote