Thread: Starlink?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 06:33 AM   #15
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Starlink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Greg, I just saw this thread. I've had my Starlink for 3-4 weeks now. I love it. It's a gamechanger for me living in an RV. I have had cellular (Verizon) internet for 7+ years now. Often the best I could get was 15Mb/7Mb in weak areas. The better areas were 35/20 or so. With Starlink I'm consistently in the 140/10 range. Now that I'm further north I have no network outages. While I was in Texas I would get them every few hours, typically 5 seconds or less at a time. I added the portability feature as well since we're always on the move. I'm not ditching my cellular gear BTW. My Cradlepoint router will let me add Starlink as my primary and use cellular for backup or load-balancing. Once I get my Starlink ethernet adapter I plan to try to tie them all together. I need to order a pole mount too. I already have a pole in place (aluminum 2-piece teloscoping pole like painters would use for tall ceilings). It's U-bolted to my rear latter. I keep my cellular router and antennas mounted to the top section and put them in the rig when we drive. Bottom section is just below the level of my AC units. I'll need to run the dishy cable and an ethernet (2nd) one from inside to the pole to make it all work. I still need the ability to put the Starlink dish on the ground (or elsewhere on my roof) because some sites have trees hanging over them. Just something to keep in mind for when you run your cables. I ran my ethernet cable through the wall behind my living room TV, into my 2nd bath (under the sink) where it goes into the underbelly (next to the water supply lines). Then I pulled a few of the belly screws out to run the cables to the rear near the ladder then buttoned it back up.
Awesome Mike. I bought a bumper hitch mount and flagpole for the hitch that goes on the rear bumper, then I got a 20 foot telescoping flagpole from Harbor Freight. Gotta make some small adjustments and wait for the bushing that slides into the top of the flagpole so that the dishy clicks in and we should be set. For now I am just running the cable in through my slide seal. We don't travel a lot so I may just do it that way, or maybe later make it more permanent. I have researched all the different ways with cell boosters and cellular modems, but it just didn't seem to me that any of them were really any cheaper and or work as good as the research on Starlink. Can't wait to actually go on a trip and try it out. And if you are ever in NE Florida, let me know I have a 30 and 50 amp hookup, I also have a quasi jumpstation as well.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote