View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pipe restoration questions

I have the stem restore kit. I'll try the Oxy Clean as well, as after still getting light brown pipe cleaners at #50, this is not only lengthy, but a pain in the arse. Do you use the powder mixed in water, or a liquid form thereof?

The pipe bits might be the way to go as well. I have a couple of these, will get some more. Will look into the "Magic Eraser." Not familiar with this, alto I do remember it being mentioned in some of the articles I've read. Sometimes one gets info overload, which I think I did!

Found this, which has good info:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Try_this_at_Home

I finished about five pipes, the stems of which still have light brown pipe cleaners traveling through them. I just got fed up!

The pipes themselves I cleaned with the salt/Everclear treatment. Again, there was still some residual brown in the bowl, but hopefully that won't be a problem. I also used baking soda as described in the article sited above.

Don't really care about the top of the bowl.

I keep wondering if it's worth the effort and expense to try and restore these Grabow pipes!

I have one that is like a Falcon with the metal bottom bowl. Again, I was unable to get this spotless- but maybe with the Oxy Clean the remaining bit of brown would be removed. Or maybe it's good enough!

Thanks all for contributing!