View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #3977
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
This one?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-San...4#.Uc2bJ9nX1c8

I have a similar design suction blaster out in the garage somewhere, along with a gravity feed that came with my compressor. They are actually the same design guns, just one has a tube that goes into a bucket of abrasive and the other with the hose attached to the bottom of a hopper. They're kind of ehhh. They tend to sputter / feed inconsistently, coverage area is kind of small and don't really accelerate the blast media as much as I would like. They do work, but not really that quickly - seem to be designed for quick, small jobs, like blasting small steel parts. From what I remember of the design of the ones I have, I'm not sure if an extension could be fitted to the nozzle because of the way the ceramic fits, and, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be sticking my entire arm down into the drum while hovering my face directly over the top or even in the drum a bit when I'm blasting. Maybe there's a way to mount the gun to the end of a broom handle or something.

Although I can also sympathize with not wanting to spend $40-50 on a tool (pressure blaster) to be used once.
Thanks Andy. I called HD's online customer service number and was able to order it through them. I also ordered a water/oil filter for the compressor to take water out prior to hitting the gun. I've read that makes a big difference for keeping the gun from clogging up. Plus, I found black diamond coal slag at TSC near my house for $8/50lb bag. I've read it does a good job, few clogs, without the safety concerns of using sand (silicosis). I should have everything I need for blasting (including my respirator and other safety equip). I think mouting the gun to a pole of some kind, like my pushbroom handle, is a good idea for the bottom parts of the inside. I hope HD doesn't take forever in getting the order to my local store. It showed 4-7 days plus 3 days processing. Lame, but we'll see. Thanks guys for your help. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.