Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
mugwump
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
mugwump is on a distinguished road
Default Cornell & Diehl -- Autumn Evening

In my continuing foray into the world of aromatics I recently placed an order for a tin of Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening. Billed as a Red Virginia Cavendish with a delicate maple flavor it sounded like just the thing for a crisp fall night.

Upon opening the tin I was greeted with a typical ribbon cut, black and brown tobacco. The blend was a bit drier than normal for an aromatic which was nice and it certainly had the sweet smell of maple syrup.

I packed and lit my Savinelli natural and was immediately engulfed in a wonderful cloud of smoke. The pipe required a few tampers and relights but nothing out of the ordinary and the blend smoked right down without ever once requiring a pipe cleaner swab. This was one dry aromatic and the lack of goop in the pipe was certainly appreciated.

While Autumn Evening gives off an incredible room note that smells of maple syrup and a warm campfire, the flavor is really not too cloyingly sweet. The Red Virgina Cavendish was more reminiscent of a traditional Virgina blend as the sweetness seemed to come from the tobacco leaf rather than the maple topping. There is a hint of maple there to be sure but not nearly the full on assault I feared.

Halfway through the bowl the tobacco added some additional flavors of spice that really perked things up. It was a bit peppery but tasted more like very fresh cinnamon with a hint of cloves. Maple syrup, rich Virginias, and pumpkin pie spice -- what could be better, or more fall-like, than that?

Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening is an incredibly satisfying aromatic. Anchored by the rich taste of well aged tobacco, the blend offers up hints of maple and spice that take the flavor profile to a whole new level. If you can, go ahead and load up a pipe, grab a book, and sit outside surrounded by the colors of changing leaves. This truly is the perfect autumn blend.