Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
cigarusmaximus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cast Iron skillet help

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
How do you season yours...
That's an easy one...just cook with it!
Seriously, at first I was overly taken with my ocd seasoning ritual but that got old fast. Now I find simply cooking with oily/fatty foods from time to time is best.

For example tomorrow after I'm done with the bacon I'll give the skillet a good wipe and go straight to the eggs with a little EVO added to the pan (turn it down a notch or the EVO will burn and make the eggs taste off).
After the eggs are done and the skillet has cooled somewhat, I'll run it under a fast stream of scalding hot water. The water will blast off any debris left over from cooking and remove excess oil. After a minute you'll see the water is beading on the surface like a freshly waxed car in the rain. You don't want to wash off that thinly seasoned film! That's magic right there. When you're done rinsing, the hot skillet should evaporate nearly all the hot water right away; if not give it a light wipe with paper towel and yer done! Easier than any craptastic teflon pan, imo.

If you happen to be searing meat for broiling in the oven you'll find some extra effort is required to clean the skillet. In this case, I use a touch of dish soap and a soft cloth, then simply give it a wipe with veggie oil and put it away. I will often apply some non-stick spray on the pan if I plan on searing meats to avoid excessive sticking. Remember to do this before cooking when the pan is still cold.

Never scrub your skillet with a scouring pad! You'll rub off all the seasoning and have a long road ahead to get it back into top form.