Thread: Shilala Beads
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #70
Trouble

Default Re: Shilala Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
There's recharging instructions at Michael's site. The link is in my sig.
The beads work via equilibrium, as mentioned.
They hold a vast amount of water as opposed to conventional beads. By way of a sh!t ton of mathematical and physical properties, they need to be "recharged" very seldom, even in a "traditionally mildly leaky humidor" situation.

To give you an idea, you can open a winador around 800 times before the beads will move one point in RH.
Granted, that statement is assuming the room is within 20 points of the beads. As in the beads are at 65% and the room is between 45% and 85%. There are a zillion variables to do that equation, and the final number relies on the very ends of the equation. In normal instances, you can open and close your humi forever without the beads changing, because the winter is drier and the summer is wetter, and the beads simply recondition upwards and downwards across the time period.
A humi has to really have an exceptionally bad seal to affect the beads negatively. So bad that it doesn't fall into the "traditional breathing category" whatsoever. It has to fall into the "it's more a shoebox than a humidor" category.
I'm not doing the math for someone who lives in the rainforest or in the desert.
Hope this helps!!!
I do not see the recharging instructions on the site. I checked several times but maybe I am just missing it. Maybe you can just tell me.