View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some computer building geek help, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
You can always do a duel boot to keep an XP partition on the HD. I did that when I loaded 7 Pro on my laptop. But...I've found that I can pull full access programs from the XP partition into 7 Pro 64. I don't mean through the virtual machine (which I found myself never using) either. I'm able to pull the .exe file from the XP partition and pin them to the taskbar in 7 Pro to launch from.
I dual booted 7 and xp all the way through dev. Did the same with vista.
The lack of drivers made it useless to me, but it sure was purty.
Brilliant idea on pinning the .exe file across partitions, Walt. I'd have never thought of that in a million years, Thank You!!!
I have no idea what virtual machine is, or how I'd use it to my advantage. I'll definately look it up and see why I want it. (That's not entirely true. I recognize it and know I used it, but I'm currently clueless and I need my brain jogged.)
I don't do a lot with my computer anymore since I retired. Not like I did a few years ago, anyhow. Lisa does, and she's excited for me to stay ahead of the curve for her. She's very savvy herself, but she doesn't do as much as she used to, either. She's not going to be doing the IT work for her firm anymore, either. If I'll get off my ass and apply myself, there's no end to what we can do together, so I suppose I should get on the ball.
A decent machine and getting more familiar with 7 is as good a place to start as any, cause I'm REAL rusty.

After this, I want to build, set up and host a server, just for learning's sake. It's a must for Lisa's work, and something I should have learned years ago.