Thread: The 19th Hole
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #17
SurfnSafari
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
SurfnSafari has disabled reputation
Default Re: The 19th Hole

My experience with Golf we carrying my Granduncles bag several times, it was hard work for a teenager. No he did not pay me, because he was frugel.

Fast forward a few years we had this "Pitch & Putt" municipal course in the town I live in, I played frequently in H/S but I never ever got bit by the Golf bug.

In High School I did some Caddy work at a municipal course near where I live. Normally in the early hours about 6 or 8 kids would hang out, and hit the arriving golfers up for caddy work. Think we got $2.00 for 9 holes, and $3.00 for 18. Then if you did a good job you maybe got a $1.00 tip from the customer.

Later in life I found myself cover P.G.A., or Senior P.G.A. Event with my camera. It was great to get paid for taking photos. Houspatality room were great, food, and good liquor.

I will share one funny story that happened at the Senior P.G.A. Event. There is this group of amatures, and this celiberity X-baseball player waiting to tee off.

This little boy approaches the group, apprently his family came to see the event, and very politely this young boy asks the former baseball play for his autograph. Kid is maybe 7 - 9 years old, and has one of those book people use to collect autograph in. About the same time the boy is ask he is trying to hand the guy his autograph book, and a pen.

What happens next is not funny, they baseball guy says to the kid, "see me at the next card show". Apprently this guy make the rounds of sport memorbillia, and sport card shows selling his autographs. I must have been 30 or 50 feet away, but could hear the conversation as let say the sound of the guy voice was clear as daylight.

Fast forward a couple of years I reading the newpaer, read where the IRS is investigating this baseball great for not paying taxes, or declearing income on card show income.

I chuckle to myself, and remember the kid who got the no, and told see me at the next card show.
SurfnSafari is offline   Reply With Quote