Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Fox is Sniffing Around the Pipe Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
Is it similar to cigars in that you can get a good tobacco (not flavoured) that has a unique flavour profile?
yes.

How long would a typical bowl last?
depends on size of the bowl. most can last easily up to 30-45 minutes, with others nearly 2 hours. very similar to cigars.
it also depends on if you are in a hurry, if you only smoke half the bowl and save the rest for later (yes, you can do that with some tobacco).

I see lots of points about cobs being a good starting point but I would prefer to start with a Briar. Other than flavour ghosting what are the issues associated to a Briar vs others.
um.... i can't think of any. ghosting is the main issue when starting out cuz you want to try a lot of different types of blends.
a way around that is to get a Meerschaum, as they also don't ghost (if they do, it's hard to do).

The only pipe tobacco I can ever remember is associated to flavoured tobaccos which I assume are chemically done similar to cigars (perhaps wrongly assume)
some "natural" tobaccos can taste figgy, or like raisins, or straw... or like pepper... depends on the tobacco and how it's cured.
there are flavored tobaccos, which are done with adding the flavors directly to the tobacco, similar to a "Makers Mark" type cigar.

Anyway not there yet but thought a pipe might be in interesting quick alternative to a cigar. Don't think I am interested in the flavored tobacco so if that is the primary difference???
i don't quite understand this question.
different TYPES of tobacco blends taste differently. like in cigars, you have your maduro, connecticut, corojo, camaroon, etc. they have their own flavors as a backdrop.
with pipe tobacco, the type of blends taste dramatically different.

also, i wouldn't say pipes are a "quick" alternative to cigars.
anyone can cut, light, and puff on a cigar. it takes practice and repitition to smoke a pipe. sure, you can fill the pipe, light it and suck on the stem, it may work. don't think you'll be done with it any quicker than a cigar, or you won't enjoy it (unless you get really small bowled pipes). pipe smoking is a ritualistic experience - some find out they don't like having to do all the things to really enjoy the pipe, cuz they don't enjoy the rituals, they don't enjoy the pipe.

Thanks
comments within the quote.