View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #1318
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
So basically, are the descriptions correct? Low to no meat, shiners galore, and just, in a word, crap?
Correct on all counts, even the rarely mentioned fishy taste.
OK, Danish Ribs are leftover meat products from the production of Danish Hams in the quaint Kingdom of Denmark.
The pigs over there are quaint, too. In fact when you pull the frozen "slab" out of the case it's like you are holding
a frozen pizza of that shape. Like a thin frisbee. If frisbees were rib shaped. Like whatever the McRib is. Once
you St. Louis cut em, you are left with two favorites, a nice strip of 'knuckle' and cartilage. But this is better than
spares because the thin strip of meat that usually extends over this entire strip has a bacony taste due to it's
thinness and done-ness. I still cube em with a butcher knife and fill a small bowl with delightful chunks til I hit
the cartilage and toss em to the dogs. But then you have the Vietnamese-looking doggie rack left, and there
is really not much meat there. But what's there takes smoke well since it is so thin and can be cooked in half
the time, obviously, but they can be easily over-cooked if, as I said, you are drinking a few beers. I can also
report that if you aren't looking, it WILL 'jump up a fishy taste' now and again. I think it is how the meat cooks
and the proximity of bone to cartilage and meat while it cooks. But if you like bacon and a kind of Omega 3
taste, lol, you should do OK. Or rather Ii can say the slightly SWEET taste of regular rib meat is a saltier taste
in this meat. And if you have a lot of BBQ sauce, I imagine these take to it well with a good sauce to meat ratio.
Today I am going to cook one more rack I have leftover and a rack o babybacks and a dozen wings. As to the
other questions, you get these in a store where...or rather I should say, I think most major stores CARRY them,
but you tend to see people BUY these where there are a lot of low income people who can look at two products
and justify one being a rip off at 3 times the price. It's kind of a sour grapes deal in a perverse way.
You might realize they are not as good a product for BBQing ribs, (and you might not...it's cultural, what you
grew up with) but if you just gotta have that meal, and you are on a budget, it's a no-brainer.
And I don't have to remind anyone of the current economic trouble and how it has humbled many a man,
or woman. So I don't use the term low-income lightly. Times are tight. haha.
But to be even more specific, they are at Kroger, usually right at ten bucks for ten lbs in a box. So on a market
framework, I can get two racks in a cryo of Med bone spares for about 12 bucks onsale here, or I can get a box
and a quarter of the DRs. And that would likely be 6-9 racks of these small ribs. You could throw a block party.
Look for them wherever bulk frozen meat processing by products are sold. You know, knuckles, feet, ears, necks, tails.
They come in a white carboard box with the little plastic straps around em, so you know they are "industrial grade', lol.

Alright, I think it's time for me to go make a fire.

Last edited by OLS; 10-30-2010 at 08:17 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote