View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #280
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread 2011-2012

A few early finals:

N. C. Asheville 80 - VMI 64 = UNC-A takes the Big South and punches a ticket to The Dance.

U Conn 74 - Pitt 65 = But if the Husky fans think a win over the aptly-named Pitts gets them to dancing, I fear they yet may have some work to do. Shoot, just about anybody could beat the Panthers this year.

West Virginia 50 - South Florida 44 = This might have gotten the Mountaineers in, and may have made the Bulls a little nervous.

With 5 minutes left, Joe's Racers are down 7 and in serious trouble, at risk of blowing their whole season. There's still time, but they'd best get to it, now.

Other action today, which is too vast to properly cover, includes:

Louisville vs. Syracuse = The way the Cardinals have played at times, it's hard to give them a shot at deflating the Orange in the Dome. Yeah, they could, but you better not bet on it.

Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee = The Vols likely need this to stay on the right side of the bubble. Vandy should be the better team, yet has not played like it too often. This could be interesting.

Alabama vs. Mississippi = The Tide may be safe, and may not, but Ole Miss definitely needs another win or two.

Arkansas vs. Mississippi State = I'm not sure either one of these can save their season at this point, but today would be a good start at a good finish.

Baylor vs. Iowa State = Hey, I can see the Bears losing another one, and dropping another line in the NCAAs, with Iowa State moving up . . . or even in altogether.

San Diego State vs. TCU = The Aztecs may be safe, but better safer than sorrier. TCU ain't bad, and can win this game. That might not help them, but it will hurt Larry's boys.

Harvard vs. Cornell = If the Crimson does not win this game, they don't deserve to win the Ivy.

Yale vs. Penn = This is the first of 2 "must" wins for the Quakers, to keep pace with Harvard.

North Carolina vs. Duke = Do I really have to say any more? Tied 13-2 in ACC play, this one's for the regular-season, top seed in the ACC tourney, and maybe even a top seed in the NCAAs. They don't get much bigger.

Butler vs. Valparaiso = I can see the Bulldogs' run ending this evening. Yeah, they are capable of beating Valpo, but the "do-or-die" pressure has got to be getting to them.

Texas vs. Kansas = The 'Horns have made a late charge for an at-large, and would get a firmer grasp on one with the upset here. I can't see it happening, but the Jayhawks do have flaws, so it could happen.

San Francisco vs. St. Mary's = The WCC won't get much at-large consideration, so this match-up in the tourney could be the whole season. The Dons and Gaels are both good teams, so this could go either way, as could . . .

BYU vs. Gonzaga = . . . which is the back-half of this WCC tourney battle. Put all 4 teams in a box, shake well, and pick one.

Wyoming vs. UNLV = The Rebels will get a chance to run in the NCAAs. But will the Cowboys? Not if they lose this one in the desert.

Just FYI, Jerry's probably breathing again. His Murray State Racers made a late run to edge Tenn. State 54-52 and win the OVC title, and so he's now Dancing around the room.

A few Sunday games shortly, if I don't get interrupeted too much.