View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #121
Cyanide

Default Re: Lets talk about the Swine flu...

I was going to write a rant here, but the sensationalism around this thing has already caused me too much grief at work.

I would bet there have actually been over a million cases of flu in Mexico, and since no-one does viral testing outside of pandemic fear mongering measures, there would be no reason to really have the numbers on that. I would bet that the mortality rate on this thing is like 0.01% (not 1%, but 1% divide by 100). I bet this is right on par with any other influenza virus.

I mean, come on, look at the lady that returned to Calgary instead of letting herself be admitted to a Mexican hospital. When she found out that she had swine flu, she gave a television interview upon getting off the plane in Canada. The last time I had a upper resp infection I figured was truly influenza, there is NO WAY I would have been in the shape to give a television interview. Besides being a bit sweaty, she gave the camera one half-hearted cough and sounded to be in great spirits being on the camera.

That is the swine flu for you.