Thread: Scotch Q&A
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #79
kayaker

Default Re: Scotch Q&A

Hey yourchoice,

What have you had so far? That might help narrow down the suggestions.

For an Islay malt, try the Bowmore 12 (~$40). You can also go for the 15 yr, but I'm not sure of the price. I find this one nicely balanced. It's peaty, but not uberly so, (I can make up words too ) and other nice characteristics in the profile.

Ardbeg 10 is definitely peatier and still within your price range.

Bruichladdich is generally less peaty, but I'm not sure right off whats in their line at $50-60.

With regards to the other regions, or other great Scotches, Highland Part 12 is great, Glenmorangie too.

If you want a good variety, try the Classic 6:

(I just cut this from here)
OBAN (Sweet) A 14 year old combining the sophistication of the Highlands with a touch of the peaty style of the Islands. It is rich and full-bodied with a mellow fruity finish.

GLENKINCHIE (Ladies whisky) Glenkinchie is a soft, sweetly aromatic malt from the 'Garden of Scotland'. Is has a fresh, grassy sweetness balanced with a warming, dryish finish.

CRAGGANMORE (Medium) A 12 year old elegant, sophisticated Speyside with the most complex aroma of any malt. Astonishingly fragrant with sweetish notes and a smoky maltiness on the finish.

TALISKER A bit smoked. A 10 year old and the only malt produced on Skye. Its seaweedy, smoky nose and sweet maltiness is perfectly complimented by its spicy, long finish.

DALWHINNIE A 15 year old gentle, delicate malt from the wild and windswept Highlands. It is subtle, smooth delicately smody malt with a heathery honey finish.

LAGAVULIN (This is Smoked.) A 16 year old distinctive and powerful Islay malt. It is deeply smoky and peaty with a velvety, complex finish.

They may generally be at the upper end of your limit or a bit above, but worth considering.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Hope this helps,

kayaker