View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Trying to cancel DirecTV

How long have you had the service? They like to sign people up for 2 years agreements.

IME, you can try 2 other options besides your CC company.

1. Ask to speak with someone from the department that tries to keep you a customer. Most places call this their customer retention department. If you sign up for the move your service, you have a number of months in which to resign up. You can ask them if this will count towards your months as being a customer. If so, and the months pan out you can cancel when you reach the required number of months or a price at which you don't mind paying.

2. Call and ask to speak to a supervisor immediately. In my customer service experience as well as my wife working for call centers, They HAVE to give you to a manager when asked. If they don't, call back and try again. Sometimes I have had to call back and deal with a few before I get an experienced rep, as most are incompetent. Lay out your concerns to him/her and let them know you don't mind paying $200, and see how that goes. The manager/supervisor has power to change these things.

I have dealt with Directv many times and most of the time it's not pleasant. However, the phone calls are recorded and when you start mentioning how they claim to have the best customer service of any TV provider, they get nervous and usually comply.

Just for farts and giggles, I'll tell you my most upsetting story with Directv. I once had a remote control go on the blink. I was still under contract and told them I needed a new remote. By no fault of mine it went out and I didn't think I should have to pay $25+ shipping to get a new one. After almost 4 hours on the phone and multiple levels (levels are what they call it) of customer service, I get a lady who does nothing else but go ummm... let's see... ummm... hmm... for almost 15 minutes. I kid you not! I asked to speak to her supervisor as I was at my limit. She says and I quote "I don't have a supervisor, I am the highest it goes here". To which I replied, give me your boss then. Again she says I don't have anyone higher than me. To which I say are you the owner of directv? She says no. Then I say, then you have a boss and get him on the phone, whoever they are. She again starts in with the hmmm... and ummm... and I get so pissed and realize she is just messing with me, I hang up. I was furious. After a couple hours I calmed down and called back. The first person I got ahold of, was a first level rep. They immediately apologized after I told them my story, and she got the new remote out to me at no charge. The second call took all of 5 minutes. I say all that to show, yes I have had "experience" with them and if the first person gives you the slightest run around. Hang up and call back.