Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tell Me About Commercially Available Meat Rubs

Weber (the bbq & grill company) has an entire line of rubs and seasonings that are surprisingly good. There is also the Pappy's line, but I don't know how far east they are distributed. Stubbs isn't bad either, although I don't think they have a product for fish.

If you go with Pappy's, it's good, but salty, so I would recommend picking up an equal sized container of granulated garlic (the sandy stuff, not the fine powdered) and mixing it 1:1 with the Pappy's. You can also add additional paprika or a bit of sugar.

You could even take Emeril's Essence seasoning and mix it in a similar fashion and use it for a rub - or just use it straight up, but sparingly.

All that being said, I still recommend making your own. It's really simple - all you are doing is mixing a bunch of dried spices together. Mostly paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion (again the sandy stuff, not the fine powder) and salt. Sugar, celery seed, cumin, thyme, cayenne, citric acid, white pepper, cinnamon, ground bay leaf & oregano, etc. can all be added in smaller amounts to your desired tastes.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote