View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Resipsa

Default Re: Beer Prices v. Wine Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrilG60 View Post

I think it's also because people see some things (ie. beer) as cheap, others as "inexpensive" for their perceived value (ie. wine) and still others as "expensive" when they haven't actually sat down and worked out the relative values. .......they recognized that it wasn't unaffordable as long as they looked pass the initial purchase outlay and realized the true cost of the bottle over it's lifespan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
But Vic ended his question by comparing high end beer and a low/middle end bottle of wine, not simply cost versus alcohol content. I saw a lot of validity in his post.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
This is a bit over-simplified and really hard to compare in terms of cost per percent of alcohol. Drinking a fine beer and a fine bottle of wine are two totally different animals.
MOses, I'm not talking cost per percent of alcohol, per se. And why are drinking a fine beer and a fine wine different animals? or from a nice bottle of single malt for that matter? At the end of the day when I sit down with a drink I'm not 15, i'm not doing it to get blasted, i'm doing it to enjoy the flavors, same as with a cigar. Trust me, you wouldn't want to drink more than one Old Stock Ale, because you would be on your ass if you did. It might take a hour to drink that one beer, that's how intense some "Big" beers can be. It's about the experience, not the alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
But I do disagree with the second. I cannot imagine any beer to be as bad as Cremosa (is to cigars). Also, once again, taste is subjective, not objective. Some people simply don't like high end Belgian beers/ales, and some people don't like Cohibas no matter the "status" nor high price (exclusivity).
I won't get into specific beers because Tom and VS have done so so ably.

But high end beers arent' just Belgian beers. Name the style and some craft brewer, probably here in the U.S., is making it. Belgian beers are a very, very small percentage of this.

What I'm trying to get across, pretty feebly, is my confusion at the objection to paying for great beer while people will pay more for crappy wine.

And I just don't get it.