View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #3512
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

In my cooker when doing slow and low, I start with an empty paper towel tube. I use lump charcoal and build a 8" high by 8-10" wide mountain of lump around the tube. Slowly pulling out the tube leaves a volcano with a clear sight to the grating below. I then use a half a cotton ball soaked with olive oil as the fuel and drop it to the bottom of the hole. The hole in the volcano allows it to pull air up through the pile and ignite the entire inner ring. At 250-275 cooking temps, the fire slowly expands to the out lump. With a 10-hour cook, I'd dare say I've never seen it make half the way through. The large pile ensures consistent, evolving heat. There's always plenty left over to use with fresh lump for the next cooking. No noxious fumes from the lump, as far as I can tell.

I've never had to replenish a grill that was at work, for which I am happy.