View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #3578
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Photography Thread

I will go ahead and say a couple of things...First I will comment on your list, but loaded with caveats.
Nikon comes to me much the same way that Jeff came to Canon. TO ME, canon made the best superzoom point and shoots of all time.
But they had REAL issues with unexplained 'lens errors' where Canon would tell you that YOU GOT SAND and debris in the mechnism
and there was nothing they could do about it. They also denied certain cameras ever had any issues at all. I had a Canon S1 IS,
freaking awesome camera. Followed up an even BETTER one, the Canon S5 IS. I was in the smokies, fell into a stream carring my
S5, thought no problem, I'll just go and get my S1 out of the bag. Turned it on. Boom, lens error. Never been to the beach,
never been DIRTY. Those 'hypersonic motors' SUCK A55. So I dropped Canon forever.

I really like Nikon, because I have been with em for 18 months as a newbie DSLR user, (loved my superzooms.)
I have handled and shot with 9 different models of Nikon DSLR body in that year and a half. ALL OF THEM
used the same battery. I never have to worry about chargers and batteries, I always know where everything is.
People all tell me here that this is not all that big of a deal. I think differently. I have handled 20-30 different Nikon lenses,
snapping them all over one camera to the other, they all fit, they all work, whatever body I grab. Automation is
all I lose in the most extreme examples. A LOT of my lenses are manual focus only, at least half.

I believe in Nikon's optics, and I believe in the layout of the better cameras, and I do not feel lost when I hold a cheaper model.
I like Nikon, but I would not buy anything very NEW from them, the earthquake really messed them up and I think QC slipped
some over the past 5 years. I think they will get it back, but for now I am retro-buying (haha, that's all I ever DID was retro-buy.
I also forgot that the first camera from Nikon I ever bought with a new battery type is the D7000 I just picked up last month.
Another nice camera.

The only thing I have to say that involves them BOTH is do what you are doing, talk to people. They are both outstanding,
leaping over one another on the way to the top, but always there. There is a NICE old full framer for sale, a original Canon 5D,
and I want it, its half the price of a Nikon D700. But I have to BUY a Canon lens to go with it, because I have none. I realized
if I knew ANYTHING about myself it was that there was NO WAY I would stop at one lens. So I had to back down. I am invested
heavily in Nikon and the bi+ch don't like her man runnin around.

Minolta is still a very good company, but with the top 2 names, you can almost name your focal length and there is a lens
for you, ready to go. With Minolta, Olympus, Kodak....they are not near as well-prepared for your needs. I would never suggest
against ANY manufacturer, they all deserve customers who compare and buy their brand in the end, because they all have a dog
in the hunt for now.

SONY...that's the REAL RUB. They are blood-smart. They have been ready since day one. They've been selling sensors
to EVERYONE...There's a SONY inside 80% of the DSLRS out there today. But that money coming in was not wasted,
SONY is making the best ILCompact cameras out there now. Their DSLRs are no joke either. And they are CRANKING OUT
the lenses. SO if you boldly chose Sony, you would not be left out in the cold. Plus SONY makes it easy to mount other
people's lenses to their bodies. They go out of their way to do it.

All that said, buy a Nikon from me.

Or maybe a FUJI Superzoom.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote