Old 03-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #53
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Asylum edition/club pipe interest thread

I am not interested in any pipe group buys anymore, but I do have a few pieces of advice for you guys.

First, make sure that the carver that you choose has done group pipes before. Dealing with someone that has never done it before or has little experience dealing with a group's expectations is very frustrating. Especially if the pipes don't meet the group's expectations in quality or appearance once completed.

Next, if you are going to pick a shape before an artisan, make sure that the artisan is comfortable with the shape that you picked and has made it before. It is probably safer to choose the maker and then pick a shape that they make pretty often with possibly some tweaks. It may not be as special or unique, but everyone ends up happy with the quality, appearance and construction.

Lastly, picking a new or up and coming pipe maker can seem attractive due to price or other considerations, but going with one of the more established pipe makers is always a better choice. Even if they may be a bit more expensive, it is worth it to know you are going to get a quality product and if you aren't happy they will make it right. A couple good ones that I can think of off the top of my head would be Tinsky and Boswell.

Good luck to you guys.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote