View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #37
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accuracy of salt test calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Felt like posting on this again...

I'm in no way saying we should completely ignore technology... But I can't help but feel like we've become so reliant on digital hygrometers that some of the old ways have been lost.

How did people check the humidity of their cigars before digital hygros came about?!

I have digital hygrometers in all of my humidors. However, when it comes down to it... My bottom line test of humidity is literally picking up and feeling my cigars.

Just do it! And stop worrying about stupid salt tests and hygrometers that may or may not be working correctly!

Cigars are a hobby for all of the senses... And touch is one of the most important if not one of the most neglected ones... We should all take a little more time to simply feel our beloved smokes... Yes... It sounds dirty... But caress them. Be gentle with them... Take the time to get to know them by touch. And I guarantee you you never NEED another hygrometer or salt test ever again.
I agree and disagree, NJ.
If a person has no frame of reference on how wet or dry a cigar "should be", it's dang near impossible for them just to go on their gut. The worry will drive them insane.
I think it's an evolution. Bear me out...
Once a guy gets the salt test under control, then gets good hygros, then gets their cigars where they like them, then they have gathered lots of valuable experience. That whole process takes time. Maybe a year, maybe a couple years, maybe less.
Through that process, they'll have tried cigars stored at many different levels of wetness, and they'll figure stuff out. Important stuff like "it appears my cc's smoke a lot better at 55% than 70%" and "it appears my nc's smoke better at 65% than 55%".
I can pick up a cigar and smell it and feel it and know if it's too wet or too dry for my liking, but I have some time in. A guy who has just started in the hobby may not have someone with experience to teach them in person, which would be a lot better. So they rely on the next best thing, which is our brothers online.
In time, the new hobbyist isn't going to rely or obsess on hygrometers.
Or at least this is how it all progressed for me.